Sidelined rugby league scribe Paul Kent will fight domestic violence accusations as police upgrade a charge against him in the lead-up to his court hearing.
Kent has pleaded not guilty on assault and choking charges stemming from an alleged altercation at a home in Sydney's inner west in May.
The 54-year-old was arrested alongside a woman known to him, however she was released without charge.
Leaving court that month, an embarrassed Kent told the media it was his day in the storyline of the "rugby league soap opera" and that his News Corp employers fully supported him.
The company said in a statement that Kent had been stood down.
His profile on The Daily Telegraph website lists him as a senior writer for that masthead and digital outlet CODE Sports, as well as co-host of Fox League's NRL 360, however the most recently published articles predate his arrest.
The Sydney Morning Herald reported in September that Kent was working part-time for a funeral home.
Kent has been on bail and was excused from attending Sydney's Downing Centre Local Court on Monday.
It has been confirmed a third charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm has been laid, as foreshadowed at Kent's May court appearance.
The fresh charge carries a maximum seven-year jail term.
He was initially charged with intentional choking without consent and common assault.
Kent will fight the three charges at a hearing in December.
1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)
Lifeline 13 11 14