Another cyclone may soon threaten flood-hit regions as Queensland counts the cost of an already disaster-riddled summer.
A tropical low is set to form in the Gulf of Carpentaria after heavy rain lashed the Northern Territory's Top End for days.
The Darwin area has been one of the worst hit with widespread falls of up to 110mm in the last 24 hours.
In the past three days, 215mm has been recorded at Darwin's airport and 270mm at Nightcliff due to heavy rainfall from a monsoon trough.
The Bureau of Meteorology said the tropical low was set to develop as early as Tuesday before tracking east to the Gulf of Carpentaria.
It is a "moderate" or 25 per cent chance of intensifying into a tropical cyclone on Thursday.
"That will depend on how long it can spend over those warm waters in the Gulf of Carpentaria," a bureau spokesman told AAP.
It would be the third cyclone of the season to impact Queensland.
The Gulf region is already reeling from flooding caused by ex-cyclone Kirrily which crossed the Queensland coast just weeks ago before lingering in the northwest.
In mid-December Tropical Cyclone Jasper caused record flooding, damaged homes and forced a community to be evacuated when it made landfall as a category two system north of Cairns.
Even if the low doesn't develop into a cyclone later this week, the Gulf's coastal areas are still set to be impacted by gale force winds and heavy rainfall as the system tracks south toward central NT.
It looks set to add to an already long list of recent natural disasters in Queensland that have blown the repair bill beyond $1 billion.
Besides the cyclones, wild storms devastated the southeast over Christmas after a deadly fire on the Western Downs destroyed more Queensland homes than the Black Summer disaster.
"Queensland has felt the full force of Mother Nature," Fire and Disaster Recovery Minister Nikki Boyd told parliament on Tuesday.
"The current reconstruction estimates for our state over the 2023-24 disaster season ... now exceeds $1.3 billion with more severe weather possible."
Ms Boyd said since mid-December 43 councils had been activated for disaster recovery assistance, with more than 10,000 damage assessments completed.
Almost $64 million in personal hardship assistance has been paid, benefiting more than 340,000 Queenslanders.
"These events aren't just widespread, they are unprecedented and they are intensely devastating," Ms Boyd said.
"(But) the Queensland spirit continues to shine bright."